Sunday, January 10, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I was talking to someone the other day about the resolutions I had made. She shared one of hers. It wasn't one I'd heard before, but I liked it.

Are you ready for it?

She isn't going to bring another plastic bag into her home. Not from grocery stores or department stores! As she told me this, I went into my thoughts and wondered what I would use to line my bathroom trash cans or pick up the dog poo? I don't like them either, but I do re-use them.

My question is...

could you not bring another plastic bag into your home?

Let me know in the comments.

3 comments:

jen said...

i suppose i could...what about paper bags? can you just start asking for paper bags wherever you go? and then recycle them?
i reuse my plastic bags for emptying the kitty litter box, picking up dog poo, lining our bathroom waste baskets, etc. But most grocery stores also have those big boxes at the front where you can bring them back and they recycle them. So in the event that I have more than fit in that IKEA bag organizer thing, i just take them back to the grocery store.
Interesting pledge though. It would be a tough one for sure.

Erin said...

sure i would! i almost always use my own bags when grocery shopping but inevitably there are times when i forget my bags. i don't stress about it because it replenishes my supply so i have something to line the trash cans with, toss the oozing poopy diapers into, hold the cat crap as i am emptying the box, etc.
doing it this way is a win-win. i limit the number of plastic bags that come into my home but i am also saving money by not having to buy plastic bins liners!

Unknown said...

i can't honestly say that i could never bring another one in but i do recycle them when i get a good sized pile. i have tried to be more conscious of stuff like that recently. i have started using small plastic containers as opposed to tons of sandwich bags in my kids' school lunches and i have the re-usable shopping bags. so i try.