Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Slowing Down

Is it just me or does time seem to speed up between Thanksgiving and Christmas? I don't mean "my watch is fast", fast I am talking about "Warp Speed", fast!

This year I was able to get the advent calendar slips planned and printed before December 1st. (WooHoo) Friday, Dec 4th our task was to decorate for Christmas. We didn't start until yesterday. (Dec. 8th) I think I'll be able to finish this weekend.

As for Christmas shopping... I am almost done. I have one online shopping cart still full, but it should be on it's way on Friday. I also have a few odds and ends to pick up but nothing that can't wait. My hubby and I have said for years that we were going to scale our Christmas budget (and amount of gifts) back considerably. We were never successful. THIS year we told the boys not to expect much... 3 gifts and a stocking. They seemed put out at first, but the more often we talked about it the better their outlook became.

I made a decision earlier this year to focus on needs and not wants. I have told myself "we can't afford it" when I see something shiny and distracting at the store. It didn't seem so at first, but it is really quite freeing. To add to that I made the commitment not to purchase anything but gifts this Christmas. I have passed by candles (I have so many already) and tinsel and though I am sometimes tempted by those darn end caps at the store, I know that I will not make the purchase.

At this time of year it is easy to fall into the "gimme" trap. We have been better this year about shifting our focus to what we can give others. With the Spirit of Christmas (giving, not getting) in our hearts and home we are more likely to focus on the really meaning of Christmas and feel HIS love for us and others.

My point with all of this? Time is still going by quickly, but I am better able to roll with it. :)

Merry Christmas!

No comments: